Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Top 3 Most Annoying Kid's Shows in Japan - Number Three

As you can imagine, I am nowadays more often than not exposed to Japanese kid's TV shows. There are shows that I might not find particularly entertaining myself, but which I recognize as reasonable entertainment for the kids. For instance, the kid's shows on NHK are of reasonable quality and even if they become a bit grating upon the 103rd time of watching I do not actively hate them (thinking of the Wanwan show, With Mommy (おかあさんといっしょ), Play in English (英語であそぼう) etc.). But there are shows that I am more actively annoyed by and will list them here in the hopes that some of the annoyance will rub off on you.

So, I will present the Top Three Most Annoying Kid's Shows in Japan for your education and as a possible warning for those with small children considering a move to Japan... Here comes place number three with the rest to follow!


3. Happy Crappy
Yep, it's Crappy Alright!

The name is great, I give them that much. I admit that I actually have no idea why they have chosen the title of "Crappy", there might be some meaning in Japanese of this that pass completely above my head (Ok, I guess it could be "Clappy" but "Crappy" is way more suitable here). Happy Crappy is shown on the cable channel Kid's Station and I see it as a little flashier and fast moving version of the NHK kid's shows. Basically a lot of singing, some English and stupid characters. In fact, the stupid characters are what annoys me most with this show. Not only the cute mascots, but also the guest characters in the form of the odd robot man, the Power Ranger like things and the most annoying jungle characters. I admit that I feel that I have not yet adequately conveyed the awfulness of this show, but the below opening theme might convince you?




Rating
Sexiness: Ok, this is one of the few areas where this show wins, the host girl looks a little sexier and sluttier than in most shows, but it's still only degrees in hell. 2 of 5 stars.
Pointlessness: This is where this show wins, I am not sure if they want to sing songs, tell stories or what they want to do. Thankfully the offspring seem to feel the same way as they are not too attached to this show. 1 of 5 stars.
Characters: Awful... Plain horrible, just see the picture and watch the video if you are not convinced...
Total Score: I give it 1.5 out of 5 stars

My advice is to avoid at all costs. Usually you can just switch to a recorded NHK show and the kids will thank you for it without putting up a fight. That is the only redeeming quality of this show.


6 comments:

Ἀντισθένης said...

What annoys me is that on 'Otosan-to Issho' they dodn't have a hotter MC or two. I mean, the one they have is fine, but if you want the fathers to watch... Then again, maybe she is hot for Japanese men. Their tastes sure aren't mine.

RMilner said...

My daughter got on to the NHK kids show a few years back. I have the tape saved up for when she gets a boyfriend.

kamo said...

You're back! Welcome, welcome (knew the exile wouldn't last ;)

Ant and I have compared notes about this stuff before, and what annoys me about Otosan to Issho is quite how quickly it's turned me into a middle-aged lech. Thought I'd have at least another 5 or 6 year before I started leering over kids' TV presenters, but sadly not. Though in this instance I suspect more thought is given to attracting the female market, for obvious reasons...

thegypsie said...

I think the sexiness factor is about accurate, they could have found a host with a neck and one with shapelier legs that wouldn't make her legs look like tree trunks in boots. Maybe she would benefit from wearing something other than red cowboy boots.

Mr. Salaryman said...

Ἀντισθένης & Kamo - Actually, to me, that Otoosan-to-issho show has been something of a giant squid to me: I have heard that it exist and I logically accept that it exist but I have never seen it by myself. Until actually just this weekend when they showed it! The kids don't seem to be into it, but that's probably because we usually don't watch it. But I agree, even Crappy girl is better.

I guess I just have to dream back to the days when Jenny did Eigo-de-asobou...

Rmilner - Fantastic! That will be perfect when she's in her early teens and most vulnerable!

Susie - Well, believe me, compared to most of the other kid's show hosts her dress looks like a skid row stripper!

aimlesswanderer said...

This is making me dread potentially having kids, as I would rather not become too familiar with Australian kiddy TV.

Back when my very little brother was around that age, I knew way too much about Thomas the Tank Engine and the Wiggles.

At least most of the original Wiggles have retired now, but still, not looking forward to it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails