Sunday, January 30, 2011

Muri muri muri muri!!!

Last night I suddenly woke Mrs. Sunshine up very roughly as I in a panicked loud voice said, in Japanese "無理無理無理!!!" while holding my hands out in front of me and violently shaking my head at the same time. This is a bit difficult to translate to get all the flavor right, but 無理 "Muri" basically means, "no, it's impossible" or "no, I can't do it" depending a bit on the context.

I have been known to do some minor sleeptalking and on more rare occassions sleepwalking as well (mostly very mundane tasks such as filling a bath in the middle of the night or rummaging around in some closet looking for something in my dream state), but for my sleeptalking, it's pretty clearly divided; if I speak in English, it's likely that my fictional target is Mrs. Sunshine or some of my foreign friends here in Japan, if I speak Swedish, my dream is about family or friends in Sweden, but if it's in Japanese it's very likely that it's about work.

Mrs. Sunshine didn't wake me up as I started snoring again pretty quickly after the outburst and I have no recollection of any dream but I did get curious on what could have triggered my protests. I'm quite sure that Cpt. Awkward was in there somewhere...

6 comments:

T said...

I am also a sleep talker and walker. Once, I sleep-walked into my sister's room and begged her to go watch fireworks on the balcony with me.

That is really neat that you dream in different languages though. Do you think in a different language depending on the situation? Or is it always the same?

Martin said...

I dreamt of plying rugby once and actually tackled my wife, sleeping beside me, quite roughly. She survived.

Martin said...

Oh, and i´ve also managed to smack a commuter in the face while i was sleeping on the train.
Slumbering warrior - some sort of commuter terrorist?

Evacomics said...

Is this a signal that you're suffering from the typical Japanese salaryman stress from work!? Just make sure you don't become suicidal...

Mr. Salaryman said...

Ainsley - I'm not even really sure what language I'm dreaming in anymore, but I think that my default setting is in Swedish but if I'm having a conversation with a Japanese colleague f.i. in my dream I would speak to them in Japanese...

Martin - Well, it's a good thing that we don't sleep together then, the combination could be lethal!

Eva - Haha, no, not sure if it was work even, I had no recollection of any nightmare at all really

aimlesswanderer said...

Maybe you should get one of those capsules they have in capsule hotels, with a timed lock on it, so you can't go and try and climb into bed with the neighbors at 3am.

Or alternatively, have something recording any sounds at night, so you can listen to them. I bet that would be hilarious, you swearing in Swedish at 4am!

Related Posts with Thumbnails