Sunday, October 25, 2009

Love defined - the moments that stay in your heart

After a request from Karen quite a while earlier on more "mushy" stuff, since full male frontal nudity for some reason wasn't considered "romantic enough" according to her standards, I thought I should make another try.

In a relationship, I think there are a number of moments that won't be forgotten and serves to define the love and the relationship. Each of these moments have some significance in that it changed the relationship and brought you closer to your partner (wow, look at that, saved myself the trouble of writing out "boyfriend/husband" or "girlfriend/wife"!). I believe that there are a few "checkpoints" that most people share, even if how they play out are completely different; I'm thinking of stuff like the first kiss, first time you make love, the proposal, the wedding and things like that. But then, I think that each couple have their own private moments defining the love and I thought I should share one of those with you here.

Me and Ms. Sunshine had been dating for a few months and she stayed in my lair most of the weekends and I used to walk her to the station on Sundays as she was going back to her place for the upcoming week. During this particular occasion we discovered an used book fair going on in the vicinity of the station and we decided to take a look out of curiosity, we also found a vendor with a respectable selection of cheap English literature.
As I was looking through the books, this book caught my eye: "Eat Thy Neighbor - A History of Cannibalism". Had it been a few weeks earlier, I would probably feigned a disinterest and gone back afterwards to buy it after I had taken her to the station, but I decided to go for it and reveal some of my more unconvential interests. I held up the book (with the charming cover you can see at the top of the post...) and cheeringly exclaimed, "I'm gonna get this one!" and was met with a concerened frown (It was unclear whether the concern was for my mental health or her own physical health...) and the question "are you really gonna buy *that*?". "Well, yeah, it seems a bit funny I thought..." I replied back, quickly realizing that Ms. Sunshine probably didn't see the same funniness in the cover as me... But after a second or so she shrugged her shoulders, took my hand again and said, "well, you can read whatever you want, but I'm not gonna read it".

That was one of those defining moments for me she showed that she could accept my sometimes slightly peculiar interests...

6 comments:

ThePenguin said...

Curses, I thought for a moment there you were going to write your partner (aka former girlfriend and current wife) said something romantic along the lines "Oh, when you've finished it can I read it?".

aimlesswanderer said...

No, she should have said "That's ok, I'm into women."

If only.

Karen said...

Mr. Salaryman, this post is adorable! Mrs. Sunshine loves you for who you really are - a sick and twisted person who makes us all laugh. Perhaps after this purchase, she'll be buying you the book "The Omnivore's Dilemma."

Mr. Salaryman said...

Penguin - Yes, perhaps it will grow on her, I'd like to think that we read the book together in our twilight days.

Karen - Whew, ok, glad you liked it I thought you would be impossible to please after the whole nude salaryman+squirrel sordid incident we all want to put behind us...

Martin said...

Don´t judge a book by its covers. I guess that´s something sunshine might have thought.

Was the book as good as the cover?

Foggia said...

This cover is taken from the painting from Francisco Goya
"Saturn Devouring His Son", painted around 1823.

Related Posts with Thumbnails