Monday, March 1, 2010

Could I please speak to the person in charge of the mannequins?

As I was merrily walking around in a Japanese department stores the other day I happened to pass by the section for kid's clothes and with graduation times (and also the new school year starting in April here in Japan) closing in rapidly they had a quite large selection of school uniforms on display.
First I saw this display of mannequins with clothes for junior high-school students...
Then a few meters further down the line, another set of mannequins with clothes for high-school students...

Is it only me who find these mannequins uncomfortably creepy? the high-school boys might look reasonably human but the girl mannequin in the background really makes my skin crawl...

4 comments:

Corinne said...

Definitely creepy. I say go back to that store and put paper bags over the heads just to save small children having nightmares, as if the poor things weren't shit scared about starting school anyway!

aimlesswanderer said...

I don't want to think about what happens to them after hours... the creepy employees may "take them out for dinner". Only in Japan.

Mr. Salaryman said...

Corinne - ...and from your blog I know that you have a baby boy, I didn't see the mannequins for younger kids but the trend seemed to be the younger the freakier...

Aimless - Yeah, I can see how some people would enjoy taking one of those for dates in Akiba...

Anonymous said...

Anime characters!!! It's hard to differentiate art imitating life or the other way around...

Related Posts with Thumbnails