Thursday, March 19, 2009

Springtime time for EBM

For some reason, spring time usually brings with it a certain music nostalgia for classic EBM (Electronic Body Music) and the recent days I've been going through my iTunes library bringing out tunes from such old classics such as A;Gruhm, Poesie Noire, A Split Second, Front 242, Die Krupps, Frontline Assembly, The Neon Judgement, KMFDM and other such classic bands. Does anyone but me actually own a full album by Borghesia?

However, the conclusion is usually the same when I realize that A Split Second actually really sucked, The Neon Judgement's only really good song was "Chinese Black" (Ok, you could argue that "TV treated" also is good), A;Gruhm was more funny (in that fat gay man way) than actually produced great music and that the old Die Krupps only really great songs were "Wahre Arbeit wahren Lohn" and "Machineries of Joy" (and that's probably only because Nitzer Ebb helped anyway).

But I also get floored by Front 242 and how great their albums "Front by Front" and "Tyranny for You" were and how well they still hold up now almost 20 years later, trying to not "sing" along in the samples and dance in the subway, also it reminds me how great FLA were with "Tactical Neural Implant" and how cool I thought the voice on the song "Victim" on the "Caustic Grip" sounded back in the day. Also, in my head I'm trying to pinpoint the exact time that KMFD lost "it" (probably just after the "Symbols" album) and started producing crappy metal...

You might wonder why I don't mention Laibach and Nitzer Ebb as well, but the truth is that I always kept on listening to those albums, so they don't carry that much of nostalgia to me.

Well, I think this nostalgic wave is over for now and I guess it'll be calm until next autumn when I dig out the old Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilim and Catherines Cathedral songs!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. These two are definitely "Down with the clown."

JxS said...

It´s Gothopotamus!

Related Posts with Thumbnails